A group of colleagues and I worked on redesigning the University of Toronto's Career Navigator website using a lean UX methodology.
Through a design studio workshop, our team was able to outline the three main goals of the Career Navigator:
Our vision for the site was a way to bridge two important services that the Career Centre offers, namely: career information and skills related to students' academic departments and alumni connections that students can network with.
From our previous work of creating an experience map, we discovered some areas of improvement that could be translated onto the Career Navigator site. The three main areas of opportunity we discovered through our experience map and looking at the current Career Navigator site were:
Through our lean UX methodology, we crafted several assumptions to base our work of off, given the short turn around time. This gave the group an opportunity to place ourselves in the shoes of the user.
Next, my colleagues and I created proto-personas, which included demographic/psychographic information, behaviours or actions of the persona, and outlining their needs and pain points.
The group crafted two hypotheses statements that directed the redesign of the Career Navigator website, informed by the proto-personas and assumptions we had made.
Each group member sketched 6 separate screens that were tailored to either one or both of our hypotheses. Each member showcased their screens and gave a brief explanation of them, and the group discussed the merits and drawbacks of each. Eventually, ideas from all were written down to clarify what would be shown within our redesign.
The group then created our medium-fidelity prototype, based on the sketches and information we had gathered up until that point. We kept some of the basic functionality that already existed on the current Career Navigator page, while also implementing changes informed by our hypotheses statements and personas.
After the group moved our medium-fidelity prototype from sketches and whiteboard design and into Axure, we moved on to usability testing. We crafted a usability testing protocol that looked at validating the fit between our screens as they related to the hypotheses we had crafted. In total, six University of Toronto students participated, filling out a pre- and post-test questionnaire, as well as completing pre-determined tasks with a think-out-loud mentality.
After further iteration based on these findings, the group submitted the finalized version of our medium-fidelity prototype for review by the Career Centre.
To view the delivered MVP, click on the image below.